Bathgate Golf Club
Home of Two Ryder Cup Captains and Three Ryder Cup Players
Bathgate Club is situated 2 miles from the main M8 motorway which bisects central Scotland and Edinburgh, Glasgow and Stirling can all be reached by car in under half an hour.
We are located in the town centre itself and the clubhouse is a five minute walk from the railway station which has a direct link to Edinburgh and Glasgow Queen Street via Airdrie.
The course provides an excellent test of golf, evidenced by the quality of players it has produced. The Club are delighted to have produced two Ryder Cup Captains in Eric Brown and Bernard Gallacher. Eric captained the side in 1969 and 1971 and Bernard of course in 1991, 1993 and 1995.
We have produced other international players most notably Stephen Gallacher who represented his country at Boys, Youths and Senior level and represented Europe in the 2014 Ryder Cup at Gleneagles.
The Club crest principally depicts the Bathgate Castle. This castle, the site of which can be seen on the 10th hole of the course, was presented to Walter Stewart as part of his wife Marjory’s dowry from her father King Robert the Bruce in 1328. Their son, later to become Robert II, was the first of the Stuart dynasty, down through Mary, Queen of Scots to Queen Anne in 1714. The site is protected by the Historic Scotland organisation and the Club is debarred from carrying out any excavation work on the site without prior permission. (Divots are allowed.)
The Club was formed at a meeting held on 12th May 1892 and the original 9 holes layout was prepared by Mr William Park (Junior) of Musselburgh. The course was officially opened on 22nd June 1892 by the Master of the Edinburgh Merchant Company who were the superior landlords of the land on which the course was situated. This link remains until today with an annual match played between the clubs.
The course was extended to 18 holes and a match between two professionals marked the official opening on 11th May 1907, Mr Ben Sayers of North Berwick and Mr Willie Fernie of Troon partnered by two amateur members of the Club. The club and ball used to open the course are on display in the Club trophy cabinet.
In 1935 Mr James Braid was invited to review the course and his recommendations led to improvements and changes which formed part of the ongoing development of the Club.
Interested in joining?
Become a Member of Bathgate Golf Club today!